The Scientific Advisory Board provides expert advice to Target Ovarian Cancer's Chief Executive, Director of Research and Board of Trustees on:
- development of the research strategy and grant giving programme
- in conjunction with lay review advise which project proposals should be invited to make a full application
- external reviewers for grant applications
- assessment of external reviews and final recommendations on grant applications
- annual review of funded projects.
The SAB looks at written critiques provided by peer reviewers and works with our lay reviewers. They then make recommendations for research funding to our Board of Trustees based on the scientific or clinical merits of the grant applications, and their relevance to our research strategy.
Target Ovarian Cancer has developed a Conflicts-of-interest-policy-research-at-Target-Ovarian-Cancer.doc to ensure SAB members aren’t compromised by applications they are associated with.
Scientific Advisory Board members
- Professor Ruth Plummer, Professor of Experimental Cancer Medicine at the Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University
- Professor Michael Birrer MD PhD, Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School; Director of Medical Gynecological Oncology and Director of the Gynecologic Cancer Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Professor Hilary Calvert MD FRCP, Director of Cancer Drug Discovery & Development, University College London
- Professor Jonathan Ledermann MD FRCP, Professor of Medical Oncology University College London Cancer Institute and Honorary Consultant Medical Oncologist, UCL Hospitals
- Professor Sam H Ahmedzai BSc, MRCP, FRCPS, FRCP Chair and Head of the Academic Unit of Supportive Care, Department of Oncology, Sheffield University
- Professor Peter L Stern, Professor of Immunology at the Institute of Cancer Studies, University of Manchester