Our GP Advisory Board brings together leading GPs from around the UK, with the aim of improving outcomes in early diagnosis for women.
GP Advisory Board aims
- To support the development and implementation of Target Ovarian Cancer's primary care strategy, including advising on new and existing GP resources
- To work with Target Ovarian Cancer to monitor the impact of new commissioning structures on ovarian cancer services, particularly in relation to supporting access to appropriate diagnostic tests and earlier diagnosis
- To advise Target Ovarian Cancer on how it can support GPs involved in ovarian cancer symptoms campaigns (as part of the Be Clear on Cancer programme) at local, regional and national level.
Report on regional variation
The Board wanted to find out more about variation in the diagnosis of ovarian cancer across England. To do this they commissioned a piece of research looking at differences in the numbers of CA125 blood tests ordered, the time taken to complete non-obstetric ultrasounds, stage at diagnosis and one year survival rates for different parts of England.
Read the GP Advisory Board’s report, Regional variation in the diagnosis of ovarian cancer in England, which reveals and explores the reasons for these significant regional differences.
Target Ovarian Cancer's GP Advisory Board members
- The Board is chaired by Professor Nigel Sparrow OBE, Senior National GP Advisor, Care Quality Commission
- Jenny Aston QN, Advanced Nurse Practitioner and RCGP Nurse Champion
- Elaine Biscoe, National Nursing Advisor, Care Quality Commission
- Dr Nina Craft, General Practitioner, Woodbrooke Medical Practice, Belfast
- Dr Elise Lang, General Practitioner and Macmillan GP Cancer Lead for Velindre NHS Trust, Macmillan GP Advisor Wales
- Professor Jonathan Ledermann, Professor of Medical Oncology, University College London
- Dr Hilary Morrison, Patient representative
- Dr Ken O'Neill, General Practitioner, Midlock Medical Centre, Glasgow and Primary Care Cancer Lead NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Dr Dirk Pilat, General Practitioner and Medical Director for e-Learning, Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP)
- Dr Vincent Rawcliffe, General Practitioner, New Hall Surgery, Hull
- Professor Debbie Sharp, Professor of Primary Health Care, University of Bristol
- Dr Alison Wint, Clinical Lead for Cancer South Gloucester CCG & Macmillan GP, Montpelier Health, Pilning Surgery